Tuesday 15 February 2011

W32/Ramnit.N

Wow! What's the chances of coming across two variations of the same virus within a space of two weeks? But there you go, I managed to do it! The Ramnit virus strikes again, this time in the N variety (although AntiVir classed it as Ramnit.c). It's the same self replicating virus as the B variant I failed to remove before and it's caused just as much chaos. There is hope for anyone who encounter this virus; I managed to safely remove it from the laptop that was infected.

A combination of Malwarebytes Antimalware and Microsoft Security Essentials finished this one off. I knew that Malwarebytes would be effective when I tried to visit the official website and was redirected to another site. Thank goodness for software download sites like Cnet and FileHippo!

Firstly Malwarebytes detected and removed a few hidden trojans and a single instance of the Ramnit virus. After a reboot MS Security Essentials then began alerting to the mass infection and so I ran a full system scan. It took ages but found several infected files and successfully repaired them. One final reboot and then full scans with both Malwarebytes and MSE turned up no more infections.

I'm not sure what the difference between Ramnit.b and Ramnit.n is but I'm glad I managed to get rid of it this time without having to do another reformat/reinstall of Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment