Tuesday 15 February 2011

Never Forget Your Proxy Settings

This is one of those 'Doh!' moments in life.

I was setting up an intranet for a school and was having some difficulties getting Internet Explorer to navigate to intranet.school.lan address. I'd set up the DNS forwarding for the correct IP. I'd got the correct configuration of IIS, the right homepage, the right permissions, everything. If I did a ping on the host address it worked fine in the command line but put the same address into the browser and nothing.

I visited so many forums and tech blogs for advice. Tried so many suggestions on tweaking IIS and doing reverse lookups in DNS. Nothing seemed to help me get any closer to solving the problem.

So eventually I had to admit defeat and asked one of my colleagues for help. They cast an eye over everything I'd done and came back to me with a solution: Put an exception into the proxy list to allow Internet Explorer to open the page!! I'd done all the complicated stuff perfectly but I'd overlooked the obvious! How silly I felt!

Heed this warning: Always check your proxies! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment