Sunday 27 February 2011

Problems with using old equipment

I came across an old Via ITX computer and thought it would make an ideal low power, low noise server for my home. It would only be used for file storage and backups of our computers so I didn't need anything fancy. The only change I wanted to make to it was to up the RAM as it had a poor 128MB.

I rooted around in my garage and turned up a couple of sticks of possible memory. The first one I tried didn't cause any BIOS errors but the computer wouldn't boot. So I figured I'd try the other stick just in case the first was bad memory. I put the other stick of RAM in and as soon as I turned on the power I knew I'd done a bad thing.

A small plume of smoke drifted up from the RAM socket. I quickly turned off the PC and hoped that I hadn't caused any permanent damage. Switching back to the original 128MB RAM I turned on the PC and.... a single long beep repeated over and over; memory error.

So now I've got a lovely ITX Via doorstop. Oh the delights of recycling old equipment!

No comments:

Post a Comment