Friday 22 April 2011

Linux Server

I've got an old PC that I wanted to use as a home server, mainly to backup the documents on mine and my wife's laptops and PCs. I downloaded a copy of a low spec, low power linux OS called WattOS and thought that I could build a basic file server off of that.

Setting up WattOS was easy enough to do. Once installed, the desktop is easy to use and the apps installed are basic and low power, just as stated. Unfortunately I'm not a Linux guru and am still getting to grips with terminal commands. Most of the guides I could find to setting up Samba seemed too complicated to follow and I quickly lost interest. Lucky for me someone has come up with a web-based configuration app for Samba, called SWAT (Samba Web Administration Tool). It's a great idea and greatly simplifies the process of setting up Samba without the need to go near the terminal.

But the problem I found again was a lack of documentation explaining how to setup shares using SWAT. I tried the guide on the SWAT website but the shares were not appearing on my Windows XP laptop. I could see the server but as soon as I tried to connect I kept getting permission errors. I tried all sorts of solutions in forums that Google found for me, but in the end I've had to call it a day. As a Microsoft trained IT Technician I think I'm going to have to give in and get a copy of Windows Server to do what I want to do.

While I still believe firmly that Linux is the best way forward, and capable of everything Windows can do and more, a serious lack of documentation is holding it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment