Tuesday 21 December 2010

Boot loader and NTLDR errors

I dual boot my Windows XP machine with Ubuntu. Feeling like I needed to reignite my interest in Ubuntu I decided to give the OS a visual facelift and upgrade to the latest version. Unfortunately for me, after the upgrade had completed it would no longer boot Ubuntu. As Ubuntu was just for me to play around with I figured I could always reinstall at a later date so for the meantime I would reinstall the Windows bootloader. If only things we so simple. Using the Windows Recovery Console I hoped to reinstall the MBR and get going but my administrator password didn't work. Windows could only reset my MBR to the recovery partition, which then promptly corrupted and wouldn't boot either! Having a panic attack that I wouldn't be able to get back Windows XP and my vast amounts of personal documents I frantically searched the internet for an answer. 

All I can say is thank goodness for the internet and those kind people who post solutions and free software to fix these kind of problems. I found a lifesaving site where some kind soul had created a bootloader CD that could bypass the Windows bootloader and allow you to boot the computer. The instructions on the site are simple and illustrated, and I am so grateful to whoever created it. I've posted the link below so if anyone ever encounters this problem they can find an easy fix for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment