Friday 10 December 2010

0×80248014 Error Code Updating Microsoft Security Essentials

So for the passed few days I haven't been able to update Microsoft Security Essentials and have been taking a bit of a security risk running without the latest virus definitions. So I decided today to try and find out what the error was that kept stopping MSE from updating. A quick search on Google and I'd found my answer courtesy of Discover Your PC.net.


It turns out that a lot of Windows updating problems are related to the SoftwareDistribution folder. So fixing the problem is a case of three simple steps:


1. Turn off the Windows Update service. The website above lists this as the Vista/7 "Windows Update" service, however I am still using XP and after a little searching you have to turn off "Automatic Updates". 


2. Go to C:\Windows (or whatever drive your Windows installation is on). Locate the folder 'SoftwareDistribution' and delete it.


3. Restart Windows Update/Automatic Updates. 


This solved my problem and apparently solves various other issues relating to updating Windows. Wish I'd known this a long time ago!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks GavinS! Your post was my solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently had this same error message and a lot of Google searching identifies this fix as appropriate for this error code.

    I had no luck with this fix. For my issue there is an even simpler fix, turn on updates for other Microsoft Software in the Windows Update control panel.

    1. Open Control Panel
    2. Click System and Security
    3. Click Windows Update
    4. Click Change Settings
    5. Check the checkbox "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows"
    6. Click OK

    So simple but so easily missed. :)


    ReplyDelete