Wednesday 4 February 2015

Remote Desktop goes black after login

When trying to login remotely to a server today I discovered that on every attempt, when I was redirected from a successful login to the desktop, the screen would go black and be unresponsive. The server was running fine and the login worked fine from the console. After a bit of searching I discovered a thread on the Microsoft Technet forums discussing this very issue.

The solution to this problem was very simple but completely unexpected. By pressing CTRL + ALT + END I could trigger the Windows security screen (much like CTRL + ATL + DEL does on a local computer). Pressing cancel on this box then restored my desktop on the server.

Others have reported online having to take an extra step of disconnecting their RDP session and then reconnecting again in order to fully restore the desktop. Many thanks to Rob Kraft on the Technet forums for this deliciously simple solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment