Thursday 23 February 2012

Windows Vista/7 unable to connect to wireless network after the connection goes down

My other half's laptop has for some time had a problem with our home wireless network. When booted up it connects happily to the network and everything works fine. But if the wireless network goes down (which it has frequently because of some issues with our wireless router) or if her laptop is left to go to sleep or standby mode, the wireless will not reconnect. The only thing that will fix it is a reboot.


I figured that there must be a solution to this problem. My Windows XP laptop quite happily drops and reconnects the wireless connection without any issues. So I turned to my friend Google for help... And the first link I see holds the answer to my question:


Apparently the problem is caused by a missing registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters. It should contain a DWORD (32-bit) value called ArpRetryCount and the value should be set to '0'. Apparently this has been proven to fix this problem under Vista and Windows 7.

Many thanks go to kileyferguson on www.techsupportforum.com for this answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment