Wednesday 18 May 2011

Restore missing CD Drivers in Windows XP

I was working on a computer for someone and the motherboard died on me. So I had to replace it with a spare that I had from another PC. Unfortunately the original motherboard was an Intel board and the replacement I had was an AMD, so I had to do a repair install of Windows XP.

When I rebooted the PC everything came back successfully except for the CD-ROM drivers. I kept getting the error ""Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" in Device Manager. I tried reinstalling the CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives but that just came to the same result. I figured the original Windows drivers were corrupt so I copied them back from the Windows installation CD, but that didn't solve the problem.

Eventually I came across a forum on kioskea.net that discussed missing or corrupt Windows CD Drivers, so I had a browse and I have to thank the member named "Matt" for his solution that solved the problem. The steps you need to take to restore Windows CD drivers are:


  • Go to the start menu, run, and type regedit
  • Look for the registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  • Delete the entries for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" if they exist
  • Reboot your PC
This should restore Windows CD drivers. Thanks Matt!

No comments:

Post a Comment